Tuesday, August 22, 2006

To Market to Market...





Every Tuesday, starting last week, I go food shopping with my neighbor. He is retired and his wife works at the embassy. He rotates where he goes every week and takes two ayis with him, his and a friend's. They (we) go to a large fruit and vegetable market and also to a supermarket each week. These pictures are of the vegetable market and fruit market where we went this week. The bottom picture shows people off-loading heads of cabbage. They were meticulously stacked on the truck and the people were tossing them, 1 by 1, to be stacked on the ground for sale.

There are hundreds of vendors selling their produce at these markets. The quality varies, as does the price. I enjoy the time. I get to practice my Chinese while being comforted by the fact that one of the ayis speaks excellent English, so she is very helpful. She encourages me to use Chinese and says I speak well. I think she's just being nice but since her boss doesn't even try, I think she thinks it's nice that I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home