Friday, October 20, 2006

A Trip to Walmart!

Well, after hearing about it for the past few years, I was finally able to make a trip to Walmart in China. It's quite a distance from our house but my neighbor, with whom I do food shopping on Tuesdays, had to go there to get a specific oil for his car, so off we went.

It was very interesting there. It definitely wasn't easy to find. It's a bit off the beaten path and even when you get close, it's down a bit of an alley and there's only a small sign pointing the way. Parking is underground and they told us we had to park on a specific level because William's car was too big, which it wasn't. It was quite a maze and not at all easy to find our way into the store.

Just like in the US, there's a greeter in the front of the store. He or she repeated "Good Morning," in English every time someone walked into the store. I thought this was nice and then I had to smile when we left the store at 12:45 and still heard the greeter saying, "Good Morning."

The store looks like Walmart in the US except with Chinese products. I was able to find a few things I needed, like small ice packs for the boys' lunch boxes and some cleaning products and also bought food products. I looked for longjohns for the boys, which I've been told are essential here because the weather in the winter is so severe, but they only had adult sizes.

I took many pictures to show what was similar and different in comparison to the US stores. Also pictured is Sam Walton's book and my cart. Prices were similar to US prices. Produce costs less clothing was comparable to US Walmarts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home