Friday, September 12, 2008

Bathroom habits- Revisted


It is nearly impossible to live in China and not address the bathroom differences. I have posted before about squatty potties, and probably, though I can't say for sure, I have also addressed the split pants issue. In case I haven't, or for those of you who are new to the blog, I will explain a bit.

Traditionally, the Chinese have trained their children to use the toilet from a very young age. Babies do not wear diapers. They wear open clothes, called split pants so that the pee or poop, theoretically, does not mess the clothes on its way out. Parents must work hard to "train" their children to go on command or stick to a strict schedule of elimination. This explains frequent sightings of parents with young children squatting by the side of the road.

There is a movement (no pun intended) in the states right now, to toilet train babies from a young age, also. It is called "elimination communication."

A few days ago, I came home and Xing Ayi proudly proclaimed that Zeke had pooped on the potty. While I was surprised, I can't say I was shocked. She said she could see he needed to go so she put him on the toilet to go. I tried to picture the logistics of this episode but didn't think too much about it. Then, yesterday, Zeke seemed to need to go again so she took him into the bathroom. Curiosity got the best of me and I knocked on the door and took this picture. I have encouraged her to continue this habit. If she can get him toilet trained by the time we leave here when he is 18 months, WOW!

1 Comments:

At Tue Sep 23, 12:25:00 AM PDT, Blogger Mary Seals said...

ahh, the split pants and bare baby bottoms. Miss those! Viv potty trained herself in a week, craziest thing I have ever experienced.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home