Monday, January 05, 2009

Framing- Only in China



Important reminder to self... ALWAYS CARRY A CAMERA!

Sadly, I did not have a camera with me today when the following took place.

Last week, Tom and I took a few things to a local framing store. In all, we had four items to be framed and 3 frames that needed a quick fix. The place I had the three items framed initially only put a mechanism for hanging the pictures but the pictures are small and will likely be placed on a table, so they needed an addition to the backs.

One of the items to be framed was two posters of Chinese submarines, placed side by side in a single frame. (You may have guessed that this was Tom's item.) He explained to the woman at the shop how he wanted the posters placed, which one on the left and which one on the right. He had a post-it note to indicate the one on the left.

When I arrived at the shop today to pick up the finished items I immediately spotted Tom's posters. The finished products looks great... except... wait for it... the post it note remains in place under the glass.

She'll have it ready for me on Thursday with the 3 other items I took in today.

I've been here long enough that this did not even phase me. It is just a small hiccup in our adventure here, something to write about and laugh about. I just wish I'd had my camera.

The above picture is of the canvases we made of the boys' handprints. I saw something similar in the Red Envelope catalog and decided to do it myself. I went to a craft market and found a painter who would mix the colors I wanted and paint the canvases. Once the canvases were ready, we took the 4 boys to the market and had them do their handprints on the canvases. This endeavor had TWO hiccups. First, the paint was oil paint, not non-toxic, water based paint as in the catalog, so getting the paint off of the boys' hands was not easy. Second, I let the boys choose the colors they wanted to use for their own handprints and by the time we got to the last boy, the only color that remained unused was the color that matched the only unused canvas which explains whey there are 2 brown handprints. Oh well. I think they came out nice. Eventually we will hang them all together like in the catalog picture but for now, I just hung them around the boys' picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home