Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The good and the bad

Well, today I had another series of stressful taxi rides. I had to go to the embassy to meet Tom so I called a taxi to take me there. In Chinese, I asked the driver if he could take me to the American Embassy. He said he knows it and yes. SO, off we go. I knew I was in trouble when he asked me which exit he should take off the expressway. I told him I didn't know. So, in a round about way, we arrived in the general vacinity of the embassy. He pointed to a corner and said "embassy" in Chinese. Of course, all the "conversation" is in Chinese and my language is pretty limited. I told him we were not there yet so he drove on toward the place he presumed it to be. Finally, after asking 3 people, he found it and I jumped out, but not before I heard him say this was "very difficult."

Tom and I had lunch at the embassy and went to the American store there. Then we went to Silk Ally to shop for backpacks for the boys since school starts on Tuesday. We bought Jed a spiderman rescuing Mary Jane backpack and Jack a red samsonite backpack. Both have wheels. Jed's cost $7.50 and despite Tom's best efforts and much to his chagrin after walking away twice, Jack's cost $12.50. Pretty good, in my opinion.

Then, it was time to go home. So, Tom walked me to a taxi stand. He asked the driver if he knew the area where we live. He did not. So Tom asked him if he knew the highway. He did. Tom told him if he gets to the highway and takes exit 6, I can tell him where to go. This is true. So, off we go...

We are driving along, before the highway and he asks me which road I want him to take to the highway. I have no idea, so I just tell him to please go whatever way he can to get to the expressway. He asks if I understand Chinese. I tell him I do a little. He tells me my Chinese is bad. RUDE! I tell him I want to study Chinese but that I have 3 sons and I am very busy. When they start school, I hope to study. He is mightily impressed by the fact that I have three sons and wants to know if I want a daughter. This is a very common question. He says he has a daughter. It isn't long before I hear him say (Chinese of course) "You are very pretty, I love you." and he's humming American patriotic music. He asked me if I understood what he said and I said yes.

I was very happy to arrive home and see my boys. I told Xing Ayi what happened and she said "Oh my, you must have been scared, you must tell Tom and next time he can come home with you." I think this is a great idea, but rather unlikely... Oh well.

1 Comments:

At Sun Sep 10, 01:52:00 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Erin,
My name is Lisa, I am Anita Hopkins' daughter and I live in Nanjing right now. She gave me your blog to look at. I went to Beijing last month for the first time - just for a week. I really liked it. I went to the chabad for Shabbat and that was really nice because there is nothing at all Jewish in Nanjing. My mom didn't say, but it looked from your blog that your family is Jewish too? I know what you mean about the taxi drivers. I get the whole "I don't want to go to that place" a lot and it's very annoying especially when I'm standing in the pouring rain etc. You are very brave to live in China for three years. I am only here for ten months and I think it's a really long time. I am getting a graduate degree in Chinese language and taking classes in Nanjing. I am planning to move to Beijing for two months beginning at the end of January. If you would like to compare China experiences or anything you can write to me at lisa_hopk@hotmail.com. One more thing, have you all discovered "Paul's Steak and Eggs"? It's a little restaurant near the American embassy and that is probablly my #1 reason to live in Beijing. Pancakes and waffles and American diner style food. Good luck in Beijing! -Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home