Thursday, August 31, 2006

Haircut

I got a haircut 2 days before we left Virginia. Fast forward 3 months and I was desperate for a haircut. Knowing that an appointment with the famed "Eric" from Paris downtown can take 3 hours, I decided I could not take the time and decided to give the little shop less than a mile away a try. It is called Flower River Garden, I think.
So, I hopped on my new bike and off I went. I walked in and asked for a haircut. They asked me if I also wanted a manicure, but I said no, just a haircut. They asked if I wanted a shampoo and I said yes.

I was led to a salon chair and sat down. A woman came over to me and draped two towels over me, one in front and the other in back. She then proceeded to wash my hair while I sat, upright, in the chair. She squirted a bit of water from a squeeze bottle, then added a bit of shampoo and rubbed it in to my hair. She continued to do this until my whole head of hair was lathered. Much to my surprise, not one drop of water spilled off of my head. She then led me over to the sink where I reclined and she rinsed my hair.

Next, she led me back to the chair where she told me my hair is dry and she could do a special treatment which is on sale. Normally it cost 600 RMB, ($75) but this day it was 360 RMB ($45). I declined. Next, the stylist came to my chair and confirmed that I wanted only a cut and that I wanted him to follow the way it was styled, just trim it. He said no problem. While he cut, which he did in an angled cutting technique I was not familiar with, another man came over and told me that since I was a new customer, today he would give me the haircut, shampoo and blow dry for free if I buy the special oil treatment. After a bit of confusion over what exactly he was saying, I declined for a second time. The stylist finished and then dried my hair. No styling products were used and the hair wash was only shampoo, no conditioner.

The end result is pretty good. It's not perfect, it's no Vanessa cut :-) Hi Vanessa! But I am happy enough with it. I'll post a picture soon, I promise. We have a customer card at this shop. We paid 2000 RMB which is all on the card, then they deduct each service from the total, giving a discount each time. Tom gets his hair cut there every two weeks for 24 RMB ($3). I have gotten a pedicure there for 40 RMB ($5) and my hair cut, wash and blow dry cost 48 RMB ($6).

When visitors come, we can have the manicurist come to our house to do mani pedis at home for us, if we want. Any takers???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home