Thursday, February 07, 2008

Huck and Ayi

Ayi picked Huck up from school the other day and on the way home they stopped at the grocery store. Inside the grocery store is a toy store and when Huck walked by it, he asked his beloved ayi if they could go and look. While there, he spotted a spiderman toy he must have. She told him he had to ask Mommy.

When they got home, he was very excited and proceeded to tell me about the toy and ask if we could go get it. When I said "no," he, of course, asked "why not?" I explained that we'd just had xmas and Chanukah and soon it would be his birthday and he would get more presents then. He began to cry a very sad cry which went on for a little while, at which point the ayi said, "don't cry Huck, don't cry. Maybe Mommy can get this toy for you now and then not another toy for a long time." She wanted me to give in to the crying so Huck wouldn't be sad.

It's nice that she is so attached to him and doesn't want him to be sad, but it's difficult to teach lessons when she gives in to every whim of our kids! When I am not around, there's nothing I can do about it but when I am right there, I have to draw the line. I explained the situation to her, telling her if we give in now that next time would be worse, but I doubt it had any effect.

Oh well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home