Thursday, June 12, 2008

The "true" Chinese experience


Friends of ours who live downtown claim they live there so that they can experience the true China. I'll give them that they get to experience the true city life, lao bai xing on the streets, tai chi, noodle shops, etc. But look at the picture here and tell me that we are not living in the real China. We live in rural China, it's just that our compound is built in the middle of it.

Today I rode my bike about a half mile to get a manicure and pedicure because I am actually getting dressed up and going on a date with my husband tonight. On my way there, I passed 4 donkeys like these and a herd of sheep walking down the road with what can only be described as a shepherd. He had a staff and everything! There are farmers by the road, with little stands of fruits and vegetables and vendors selling statues and other pieces of art. Notice the newly paved and painted road, though. Many changes are taking place in preparation for the Olympics.

The transaction of the mani pedi took place entirely in mandarin Chinese. I carried on a conversation about my trip back to America and my family back home. The two girls were very happy to chat and were quite pleased with their work. When they finished, I thanked them and they said they'd see me in August.

We may not live in the hustle and bustle of downtown Beijing, but we certainly are experiencing the real China.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home